Current:Home > reviewsFastexy:King Charles III celebrates 76th birthday amid cancer battle, opens food hubs -MoneyStream
Fastexy:King Charles III celebrates 76th birthday amid cancer battle, opens food hubs
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 20:14:46
King Charles III is Fastexycelebrating his 76th birthday near the end of a trying year in which he and his daughter-in-law Princess Kate were both diagnosed with cancer.
The British monarch is marking the occasion by opening two food distribution hubs after last year launching the Coronation Food Project in an effort to "bridge the gap between food waste and food need." On Thursday, he is opening the initiative's first two food hubs — distribution centers which are designed to save and circulate surplus food.
Charles visited one of the hubs in London that is hosting a "surplus food festival," making meals created from food which would have gone to waste, and he is virtually opening the other site in northern England.
Their aim is to make it easier for food charities such as FareShare and the Felix Project to provide support for those in need, Buckingham Palace said. The project has helped save the equivalent of more than 2.2 million meal portions since its launch, per the palace.
Charles' birthday is also being marked with gun salutes at the Tower of London and in the capital's parks.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
King Charles attends 'Gladiator 2' premiere, marks birthday amid cancer
The monarch's birthday comes after he attended the premiere of "Gladiator II" in London on Wednesday night, where he greeted director Ridley Scott and stars Denzel Washington, Paul Mescal, and Pedro Pascal. Queen Camilla, who has been recovering from a chest infection, was not in attendance.
King Charles was diagnosed with cancer after a procedure for benign prostate enlargement, he shared in February. He returned to his public duties by the end of April.
Charles' birthday was previously celebrated in June with the yearly Trooping the Colour parade. Princess Kate attended the ceremony, which marked her return to public life after she was diagnosed with cancer.
Princess Kateto host annual Christmas carol service following cancer treatment
In the following months, Kate gradually attended more public events before revealing in September that she has completed chemotherapy. The Princess of Wales is set to host an annual Christmas carol service in London next month.
Princess Katemakes rare public appearance after completing cancer chemo
Speaking recently to British media during a visit to South Africa, Prince William said his year has been "dreadful" amid Charles and Kate's cancer battles.
"It's probably been the hardest year in my life," William said. "So, trying to get through everything else and keep everything on track has been really difficult."
Contributing: Michael Holden, Reuters; Brendan Morrow, USA TODAY
veryGood! (7)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Sudan’s army and rival paramilitary force resume peace talks in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia says
- Volunteer youth bowling coach and ‘hero’ bar manager among Maine shooting victims
- South Korean and US forces stage drills for reaction to possible ‘Hamas-style’ attack by North Korea
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Special counsel accuses Trump of 'threatening' Meadows following ABC News report
- Slammed by interest rates, many Americans can't afford their car payments
- Residents shelter in place as manhunt intensifies following Lewiston, Maine, mass shooting
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Duran Duran reunites with Andy Taylor for best song in a decade on 'Danse Macabre' album
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Wisconsin Republicans back bill outlawing race- and diversity-based university financial aid
- I need my 401(K) money now: More Americans are raiding retirement funds for emergencies
- Britney Spears Reveals What Exes Justin Timberlake and Kevin Federline Ruined for Her
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Details of the tentative UAW-Ford agreement that would end 41-day strike
- National Air Races get bids for new home in California, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming
- General Motors and Stellantis in talks with United Auto Workers to reach deals that mirror Ford’s
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Details of the tentative UAW-Ford agreement that would end 41-day strike
1 of 4 men who escaped from a central Georgia jail has been caught, authorities say
Calvin Harris, Martin Garrix, Tiësto to return to Miami for Ultra Music Festival 2024
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
General Motors and Stellantis in talks with United Auto Workers to reach deals that mirror Ford’s
Javelinas tore up an Arizona golf course. Now some are arguing about its water use
Who is Robert Card? Confirmed details on Maine shooting suspect